2013 was a wonderful year - I was accepted into graduate school, my sister graduated from her graduate program and passed the bar exam, and I participated in the Sally Hansen I Heart Nail Art contest, an experience Iâ€™ll never forget. This past year I discovered even more great makeup, and I wanted to take this opportunity to share with you some of my new top favorites. I have been getting more into wearing nude lip products and my foundation search has continued due to my sensitivity to dimethicone - I think Iâ€™ve found a great drugstore product that doesnâ€™t break me out and feels and looks great on. So stay tuned and I hope you share your own beauty discoveries over this past year in the comments. Also, do you have any beauty resolutions for the year 2014?
MACKENZIEâ€™S TOP PICKS
1. Best Foundation - Maybelline Fit Me Shine Free Foundation Stick
Foundation sticks are rare gems at the drugstore, and I have been so pleased with Maybellineâ€™s version. Maybelline Fit Me is extremely blendable, has a beautiful finish and is perfect for on the go. Fit Me is also the one foundation at the drugstore that hasnâ€™t caused breakouts on my sensitive skin (despite the small amount of the dimethicone ingredient). A full review of the Maybelline Fit Me Stick is in the works!
2. Best Blush - Elf Studio Baked Blush in Passion Pink
This blush gives my face a beautiful glow and that perfect sun kissed color for a whopping $3.
3. Best Mascara - Lâ€™Oreal Voluminous False Fiber Mascara
My go to mascara for insane volume and lengthening! Lâ€™Oreal False Fiber Mascara is a dry formula which helps keep my lashesâ€™ curl. I have gotten lots of compliments when I wear this, specifically “Are those real?”.
4. Best Palette/Eyeshadow - The Balm Meet Matte Palette
I wear the Meet Matte palette daily because of its versatility and quality. The formula of the shadows is very buttery and pigmented, and I have created countless pretty looks with it.
5. Best Lip Product - Rimmel Show Off Lip Color (aka the Apocalips) in Celestial and Comet
These Rimmel Show Offs were hyped up for a good reason - I love these two colors as they are very wearable and flattering (and the rich formula is another plus!).
6. Best Nail Polish - Essieâ€™s Topless and Barefoot
A beautiful nude polish that is perfect for almost all skin types (this may not be a 2013 release, but it definitely was my go-to color this past year).
7. Best Skin Care Product - Neutrogena Oil-Free Foaming Grapefruit Scrub
I wash my face with this lovely scented pink grapefruit scrub twice a day. This Neutrogena face wash removes makeup, dirt and bad oil while being gentle enough on the skin.
8. Best Haircare Product - Desert Essence Shine and Refine Coconut Hair Lotion
I am a sucker for tropical, coconut scents, and this lotion prevents frizz and ads shine all while smelling like a fabulous tropical vacation.
9. Best Concealer - Benefit Erase Paste
Erase Paste makes me look like I get 10 hours of sleep each night (hint..I donâ€™t) - I love the emollient yet light formula, the amazing pigmentation and the color that blends very well into my skin. Definitely long lasting too!
10. Beauty Resolution for 2014 - Develop better skin by perfecting a day and night routine and use masks more frequently!