Spring Eye Makeup Looks and Runway Trends - Miranda’s Favorites
Spring is upon us and still so far away - it’s currently snowing in DC and my sister confirmed it’s raining in New York City so …yay for spring. Because I have a ton of work to do for school (defense procurement regulations aren’t reading themselves!), naturally, I decided to look at New York Fashion Week and Spring Ready to Wear collections to get some beauty inspiration. I picked six spring eye makeup looks I truly liked and look forward to trying. If you have a chance, definitely search for runway makeup photos because everything is absolutely creative - true, you may not wear the floating eyeliner a la Michael Kors, but a girl can get some ideas.
Also, let’s preface this by saying I have no fashion sense or fashion intuition (is that a thing?) whatsoever. My closet is all black and white basics with some dresses thrown in - so I will refrain from saying how the look is influenced by the clothes or how the patterns match the texture of the *insert fashion-y word here*.
Beauty, I can talk, so below is my favorite eye makeup for spring as well as possible way of recreating these runway looks. For spring makeup, I chose natural looks with nude lips and simple eye shadow or eyeliner that follows the eye shape.
Photo Credit: Style.com and New York Fashion Week mbfashionweek.com - both sources include more looks if you wish to see other designers
Favorite Spring Eye Makeup Looks:
1. Chloe Spring 2013 RTW - I love the use of a bolder copper eye shadow to emphasize eye shape and frame the face - perfect for those spring patio parties.
2. Derek Lam New York Fashion Week - Spring 2013 RTW - We can’t always wear eyeliner, so a pastel eye shadow can enhance eye color without looking over the top.
3. Valentino Spring 2013 RTW - I picked this look because in all the Valentino runway pictures - the models’ eyes were bright and I couldn’t figure out how that could be with so little makeup. After a bit of research, I found that the makeup artist used translucent eye shadow and shimmery brow highlighting with a white under-eye liner.
4. Altuzarra Spring 2013 RTW - I’d like to wear colorful eyeliner but have to keep in mind that bright blue and gold aren’t exactly school and office appropriate. Altuzarra runway models had a thick liner line (that almost looks like eye shadow) - the detail included shows that the liner is actually a deep purple, so I found a way of adding some color without looking like I’m headed to an 80’s party.
5. Vera Wang Spring 2013 RTW - As all the other looks, a brown eye shadow applied softly can make all the difference - for spring makeup, less is more.
6. Phillip Lim Spring 2013 RTW - Similar to the Valentino makeup look, Phillip Lim models had under eyes lined with a white pencil - but for some added pizzaz (this sounds like a fashion word right?) the makeup artist halfway lined with a dark pencil.
For this spring, I look forward to a glowing, fresh face look that also emphasizes the eyes in a natural way (and I can totally do it, because it’s in style!).